Tuesday, October 29, 2013

recovery

I am doing my best to pull it back together after one heck of a weekend.

My usual position, bossing everyone around via bullhorn.

Saturday was our church's 5K race, which seems to be turning into an annual event. I am not really sure how I feel about this. For certain, I cannot think about the possibility of next year just yet. But I am proud to report that we raised over $12,000, to be divided evenly between our local food pantry, the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen, and the Hunger Fund of Episcopal Relief and Development.

Handknits galore, it was freezing!

My favorite picture of the day, me with my almost-18-year-old (how is that possible?!!?!?), who very kindly woke up early and worked very hard all day, in very good humor, to help out in multiple capacities. I am very proud of the man he is becoming, in case it isn't obvious.

The following day we had Patty's memorial service, at which I was honored to be asked to deliver the eulogy. It was very, very hard. Thanks to my brother's help with writing it, and my family's support, I got through it. Barely. But I made it.

And the past few days have been recovery. Is it possible to maintain that same level of productivity for days at a time? My experience has been: not. The best I could manage was simple family meals (but at least not pizza), clean sheets (on every bed), a few loads of laundry (but not nearly enough).

I have multiple projects that need my urgent attention. I have patterns that need to be published and patterns that need to be worked on. I have a book that needs to be read and reviewed. I have a kid (?) that is turning 18 (!!?!!!) tomorrow. I have another kid that is struggling in a few of his high school classes. And I have yet another kid (by far the most neglected) that needs a Halloween costume for Thursday, though I think I have talked him into a hand-me-down.



Forget all that. My focus has been comandeered by a yellow cabled cotton sweater that has been on the needles for over a year, that I may not even get the chance to wear in 2013. It's as if my mind has had enough with the useful, and can only deal with the completely impractical at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment