Friday, July 25, 2014

overload

It has been one of those weeks, which it always tends to be during the two or so weeks before fair. Not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg. Fair is a load of work, yes, but why does everything else tend to snowball during this time? I started a brief list yesterday, then got derailed before posting, so here it is with some status updates.

Terzo is sick. Finally better—he ran a fever for three days. But now we are dealing with poor Secondo being stung by wasps at his farm job yesterday. This is a "just woke up and the Benadryl has worn off" picture. The other picture would be much less swelling but him dozing in a chair from the effects of the Benadryl.



A lamb is sick. Also better. For now. But the gate to their pen is broken.

The rabbit is sick. We can't move him outside to get some fresh air, which he desperately needs, because the flies attack him and lay eggs on him as soon as he is out, as we discovered to his detriment last week. He must smell like death and decay. It is damp in the basement but it's that or flystrike. Poor old guy! I need to figure out some other housing arrangement asap.

My husband's little finger is broken. We think it happened when he was taking care of the sick lamb.

Sheep need to be moved. That is tomorrow morning's job.

I do both of my jobs at the mercy of remote computer systems, and neither of those systems is working at the moment. One has been out for over a week. Both problems were resolved late yesterday, right before I lost my freaking mind because I was so far behind and couldn't do a thing about it.

The laundry has reached epic heights and levels of smelliness. No change there. Ever.

Fair is next weekend. Also no change. But I did experience a brief glimmer of hope when I saw that the expiration date on the milk is August 3. My train of thought: "Fair will be over by the time this milk expires, so that point isn't too far away. I can cope with anything for the time that it will take for this milk to go bad."

And so on (and on and on and on) and so forth...

I did end up with a most restorative end to the week, teaching someone how to knit this afternoon. She wants to make a scarf for her daughter, who will also going be off to college this fall, in the colors of her daughter's chosen school. The easiest way I could think of was to cast on 300 or so stitches—the daughter wants a long scarf—and then she can just knit every row for a bit, then switch colors and do the same. The daughter is one of my favorite 4-Hers, so it was a pleasure to work with them both to figure out a solution to what they both wanted. It is nice to occasionally make things work.

2 comments:

  1. Be sure to teach your friend a really stretchy cast-off. (I'm assuming she's knitting end to end.) A really easy and stretchy cast-off is knit two, slip both stitches back onto the left needle and knit them together. There is now one stitch on the right needle. * Knit the next stitch, slip the two stitches back on the left needle and knit them together. Repeat from * until one stitch remains. Break yarn and pull through last stitch. This makes a nice edge and it really does stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the fair. I know how fast things can pile up!

    ReplyDelete